Sunday 11 May 2014

The Virgin London Marathon

Im not really sure where to begin this post! I ran my first race a year and a half ago (The Royal Parks Half Marathon 2012) and while running along the embankment, the dream to run the London Marathon was created. I imagined it would take me years to get the opportunity to run the London Marathon or that it would just become a dream and it would never come to fruition. Little did I know..

After my first half marathon I became hooked on races, running 6 half marathons, tough mudder, a 10k and the Olympic Park 5 miler in the year following. I wondered what the next challenge would be, deciding to concentrate on getting my half time under 2 hours until tackling a marathon. That did not happen. After Tough Mudder, my friend Susie (who is a super duper fast marathon and ultra marathon runner; aka a running legend), told me, after we had both had a few drinks that I needed to sign up and do a marathon.  Despite my protests, she stated, rather smugly that a marathon was easily attainable for me and that I needed to do one. I told her that London would be my first marathon and that she would have to run it with me. She agreed to run it with me and so we spoke to Challengers, who gave us places in December!

I started training in January with a bump, as most paths were flooded due to the Atlantic storms that did not stop forming. But I grew to love running in the rain, hail and wind. It made the 3 long runs that I did do in the sunshine that much more enjoyable; however some part of me did miss the feeling of having soaky feet after half a mile. Training had been mixed, as I was training around my teacher training course, it required me to shift long runs to more suitable days and around essay deadlines, often my midweek runs were often cut a few miles short just so I could get back to my essay.


Saturday:
In the morning I headed over to the Excel centre in London to register and collect my number. It felt very surreal holding a VLM number. Im not sure when it sunk in, infact I don't think it still has. Months of training in the rain had come down to the next day, the 13th of April and a long run of 26.2 miles. The expo was really good and well organised. I didn't have to wait at all to collect my number and timing chip. There were a lot of shops and charities there as well, trying to give out last minute advice and selling lots of lovely runner things. I picked up an official addidas teeshirt, 2 cliff bars and  a tube of nuun. I also had a 15 min massage on the bottom of my feet as training had caused some plantar fasciitis to develop in my left foot. I was in and out in just under an hour and that was with plenty of browsing time. I would recommend any runner to go there and pick bits up, even if you aren't running the marathon.
On the way home, I met up with a friend for some brunch and to try and figure out the best places she could see me at during the marathon. The lovely waiter noticed the marathon magazines and wished me luck started to make running the marathon very real. On the way home, I stopped of a saisburies to get last minute painkillers and vasoline. I laid out my marathon outfit, stuffed my face with pasta, chicken and dough balls and got into bed and sorted out my playlist, waiting to get sleepy. I probably nodded off around midnight after trying to sleep since 10pm.



Sunday:
My alarm went off at 5:30, which was promptly snoozed. I managed to eat my breakfast (egg and cress sandwich- don't ask, it has always been my race day breakfast since my first half), cover myself in vasoline, get changed and make my way over to Challengers headquarters by 6.55, ready to leave in the bus at 7am. It was so nice to travel up with other runners, all running for the same charity. We were able to chat about our training and listen to advice from some seasoned VLM runners! All to soon, we arrived at the bus drop off area and off we went to our starting areas after a quick hug from Lucy. Most of us were in the same starting pen so it was nice to calmly prepare ourselves together- go to the loo, vasaline toes, eat bananas and sip water.



At bag drop I waited and met up with Susie and her brother in law and we went straight to the starting pens. I couldn't decide if I needed to wee, but Susie told me it was a nervous wee and if I was that desperate I should just squat and go. umm NO. so off we went to the starting pens. The three of us were in red start but in different pens. I managed to sneak up one to Susies and Rich moved back and stayed with us. The atmosphere was buzzing- so much excitement and nerves. There seemed to be a lot of people around us that were running their first marathon too which put me at ease. Before we knew it, we were off- I was expecting to wait a long time before crossing the start line, but it only took around 20 mins. We turned the corner out of Greenwich park and the start line was just there. As soon as I crossed it and started running I knew that I did need a wee and wouldn't be able to make it until mile 3, where the first portaloos would be along the course. I told Susie and I joined many men and ran into a bush 0.3 miles into the course. She also had to go, but one of us wee'd to quickly/slowly, however you look at it and we lost each other. While this was slightly disappointing as we had planned on running it together, I had trained by myself and actually running the London Marathon was such an amazing experience, I wasn't going to let it affect me.
The first 3 miles flew by, the highlight was being overtaken by two guys dressed as pink lady apples at mile 2. I had my headphones in and my music on loud and I still couldn't hear it over the crowds cheering- the atmosphere was electric. I saw my mum between mile 6-7 at Cutty Sark which was lovely. I knew she was planning on being at mile 6 so I was worried I would miss her. At mile 9 my friends, rosanna and amy jumped out of the crowd and gave me a massive hug- I was shocked to have them race over to hug me but I was so touched. I ran with someone I knew of twitter for the beginning part of mile 11 and then I saw the girls again later on during mile 11. I was stretching my calves, which had just started to give me some grief when they ran up to me and we had a little chat. Next thing I know, we are approaching Tower Bridge. Here are some photos of Tower Bridge including the obligatory selfie!

My mum was here but the crowds were so deep there was no way I would have been able to spot her.  Turns out she didn't see me either!

The half way point was just after Tower Bridge and this is where I started to flag- it was hot, really really hot. My calves and hamstrings were getting tight. However, seeing the 3 hour marathon runners zip by the other side of the road was amazing, albeit slightly scary that I would only be at mile 22 next time I ran along the other side of the road.  I had a few walking breaks here to try and stretch out my calves and then carried on going. Due to the heat, I made a point to take on some water at every stations, even if it was only a few sips, just to keep my mouth from getting dry.

The miles from 13- 20 were a blur. I knew that I would find this 7 mile stretch the hardest as I knew it was when I would hit the wall. I had hoped that with the adrenaline I would have have been able to power through but I hit the wall at mile 17. Luckily I was able to see my mum quite a few times on this section which was nice which made it slightly more bearable, but at this stage my legs really hurt, it was hot and I knew I was getting sunburnt. I changed my running tactic from running when I wanted to, to using intervals to ensure that I finished.

On one of my walking breaks I made a friend and we spoke about the charities we were both running for. We were both running for charities that were close to our hearts and were both struggling in the heat and he said to me "it's not when you cross the finish line, it's why". How true that statement is.

I had a banana at mile 17 which was amazing. It settled my stomach which was starting to hurt due to the gels. I hadn't experienced any stomach issues during my training with my gels so it was disappointing to get them on the race! It seemed to help.

At mile 21 I seemed to get a second wind of energy and saw the Challengers supporters which was such a boost. It was also a relief that I only had 5 miles to go! I also saw Laura, who is the person responsible for me starting to run at mile 21 with the rundemcrew lot. She ran with me for a bit which was lovely.

The last 5 miles seemed to go on forever! I was reduced from running to shuffling towards the finish line. I saw the girls again at mile 22/23 and had another little chat. It was so nice of them to distract me from the pain I was in and tell me to keep going.

I finally crossed the finish line which was amazing, if a slight anti-climax as my race had not gone to plan but I was relieved it was finished. 

Running The London Marathon has also given me a renewed appreciation of people. I lost count of how many pats on the back I received during the race with genuine words of encouragement. From the thousands of volunteers, who gave up their time and effort to make sure that the event could take place so successfully, to the just under a million spectators who not only encouraged each and every runner but who also created banners, played music, dished out fruit and water among many other things, it really was a sight to behold. Every step of the way, streets were packed with genuine well-wishing people that helped push the aches and pains into the background. I can honestly say that without their constant urging and phenomenal support I would not have been able to get across the finish line. 



Running The London Marathon is defiantly the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done, made even more special to be running for Challengers. I have the privilege of working for Challengers and am now the deputy leader at Petersfield. Working alongside lots of very special young people is a huge privilege and the money I am raising for them will go towards the running of their summer schemes, allowing disabled children and young people to access lots of play opportunities. 

Here is a link to my fundraising page: If you could spare anything- no matter how small it would be amazing! Thankyou :)

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=livrunslondon&faId=418772&isTeam=false



No comments:

Post a Comment